CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS: COMPLETED PROJECTS
Ames Hall Renovation & Addition
Most of the campus life and student support spaces in Ames Hall relocated to West Hall upon itsfall 2010 opening. As such, GW is converting this building's function to academic and administrative uses. In addition to a complete renovation, an addition is being added to the rear portion of the existing building. The renovated and expanded Ames Hall will contain a blend of academic classrooms, informal student gathering space, faculty offices, and other academic and administrative support space.
Overview and project updates
Square 54/The Avenue/2200 Pennsylvania Avenue
The redevelopment of Square 54 (“The Avenue”) at 2200 Pennsylvania Avenue was led by Boston Properties and includes retail, residential, and office uses. The mixed-use urban town center project was approved by the DC Zoning Commission in 2007 and construction commenced in spring 2008 and was completed during the spring 2011, with retail tentant
Video of controlled blasting activities
Charles E. Smith Center Renovation
This renovation project was scheduled to occur in three phases: Phase I January-April 2009 focused on minor structural infill and preparation for Phase II construction; Phase II April-November 2009 included a life safety systems upgrade and major renovation of the interior, including natatorium and pool, lower level locker rooms, conference and fitness rooms, and a new academic support suite. Phase II also provided new seating and finishes in the arena as well as a new courtside members club; life safety and HVAC improvements to the Athletic Director’s suite, and a renovated Athletic Director’s Club on the 3rd level. Phase III began shortly after Phase II finished with substantial exterior completion anticipated in fall 2010 and final project completion in 2011. Phase III work focuses on exterior renovations and interior spaces such as the lobby and box office, a new concessions area, and the daily entry at 22nd and G Streets.
Weekly construction updates
Project progress factsheet
West Hall - Redevelopment of Pelham Hall Project on Mount Vernon Campus
This project provided apx. 287 beds for undergraduate students and 3 units for professional staff in a design that is in keeping with the architecture, scale and materials of the existing campus environment. Approved by the DC Zoning Commission in 2007, construction commenced spring 2008 with an expected 2010 completion date.
Bi-weekly construction updates
Square 80 open space
As an open space amenity of the 2007 Foggy Bottom Campus Plan, GW agreed to convert the existing surface parking lot adjacent to South Hall (Square 80/mid-block) into a green and open space. This 32,010 square foot area (between 21st & 22nd Streets/F & G Streets) previously served as parking for 30+ vehicles. This new campus amenity features more than 20 trees, an activity lawn, trellised seating and several small landscaped areas. The space opened in April 2010 for use by members of the GW and Foggy Bottom/West End communities.
Weekly Updates & Project Overview
School Without Walls Project/Square 80 residence hall
GW’s new residence hall on Square 80 provides 474 beds for undergraduates in apartment-style configurations as well as 178 underground parking spaces. Construction commenced in late 2007 and completed Fall 2009.
Weekly construction updates
1925 F Street/The F Street House (former Alumni House)
In 2007, GW President Steven Knapp announced plans to make the historical landmark located at 1925 F Street his private residence. Renovation and restoration of the property was completed in Summer 2008 with additional work in Summer 2009 on exterior garage enclosure.
Weekly construction updates
2007 community meeting presentation
Factsheet on structure's history
THE ASTON, 1129 New Hampshire Avenue, NW
As part of the 2007 Foggy Bottom Campus Plan, GW made a commitment to transition its properties outside the campus plan boundaries to uses other than undergraduate residential use. As such, GW renovated The Aston in 2007-08 and, after the life-safety upgrade, re-opened the building as housing for law school students.
-Project overview and archive
of weekly construction updates
during 2007-08 life-safety upgrade
TONIC AT QUIGLEY'S
The Quigley's Pharmacy renovation commenced in August 2006 and was opened for business in mid 2007 as TONIC Restaurant, an American bistro. The design concept for TONIC at Quigley's utilizes all levels of the building, including a take-out counter, a private function room, and outdoor seating. Decor captures the history of the building and GW through photos, period elixir and tonic advertisements, and other elements, along with several televisions for viewing Colonials basketball games or other programs. The physical environment is designed to complement the comfort food menu at this American bistro. Related document: Press Release announcing TONIC at Quigley's
Located at 2021 F Street, NW, Potomac House opened for student residency in August 2006. The ten story hall provides housing for approximately 380 undergraduates in one and two bedroom suites. The building includes student support spaces such as a study lounge, community room, and a laundry/vending area. Carvings, a ground floor retail food venue, is open to the public.
MONROE HALL/HALL OF GOVERNMENT
The renovation of Hall of Government (facing 21st Street, shown near right) and Monroe Hall (facing G Street, shown further right) commenced in May 2006 and was completed on schedule for occupancy in fall 2007. The project included new offices for The Columbian College of Arts and Sciences as well as 33 classrooms and seminar rooms. The scope of new HVAC systems,new fiber optics data distribution and new landscaping. The Speech and Hearing Clinic, housed in the basement level of Hall of Government, remained open during the renovation.